As you know Valentine’s Day is coming up next week, can you even believe it? It is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate as it is filled with so much love, hearts, and flowers everywhere we go. However, it can become very expensive and stressful when we make fancy dinner reservations at over-crowded restaurants.
So for those who like to stay in or just want a cost-effective alternative while still getting that romantic V-Day date, today I will be sharing a delicious Healthy Dinner that I promise all “meat and potato” lovers will ENJOY!
Dinner sponsored by my go-to: Whole Foods Market
New York Strip Steak with Savory Sweet Potato Mash and Roasted Asparagus
NEW YORK STRIP STEAK
- New York Strip Steak
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Seasonings of your choice (I used the Bill Baron’s Specialty Foods Hickory Smoked Salt from Whole Foods
– First, you will need to let your steak come to room temperature. This will ensure that the steak cooks evenly. After the steak comes to room temperature, season it, and let the meat marinate for few minutes.
– Heat the cast-iron skillet to a medium to high temperature on the stove until it is hot. Add olive oil, place your New York Strip Steak on the skillet, and sear it for around five minutes each side ( the steak should look golden brown and start to caramelize while searing it on the stove). After both sides are well seared, flip the steak and sear the sides as well. Getting an all-around sear makes the steak crispier and tastier.
– After you’re done searing the steak, flip it back to flat in the cast-iron skillet and place the pan in a preheated oven at 400F for as long as you desire, it all depends on how you like your steak. I cooked it for 6 minutes for a perfect medium-well steak.
SAVORY SWEET POTATO MASH
- 1 1/2 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup organic So Delicious coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
– Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let them cook until tender. Drain and return potatoes to saucepan.
– Add coconut milk, salt, pepper, and thyme to sweet potatoes and mash until smooth. Drizzle with olive oil and stir again until well blended. Garnish with thyme leaves.
ROASTED GARLIC ASPARAGUS
- 1 bundle of organic asparagus spears
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Mushrooms (optional)
– Preheat the oven to 400°F, rinse the asparagus spears, and cut the ends if necessary. Line a roasting pan with foil, place the asparagus spears in a single layer, and drizzle with olive oil rubbing the spears until well spread.
– Sprinkle salt and minced garlic, and roast the asparagus at 400°F for around 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
PS: you can follow the same recipe to prepare the roasted mushrooms, however they take less time in the oven. Serve with a bowl of mixed greens! Salad is always a good idea anyway, right?
TIP: Don’t forget to check-out Whole Foods Market Bakery and Dessert Bar. They have an huge variety of V-Day treats, including the cutest Heart Shaped Chocolate Cake. For $6.99? Can’t beat that!
Enjoy your Valentine’s Day with your loved ones!